Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Testimonial from Black Belt Anett Murray

Master's Corner
by Anett Murray, 4th dan black belt
It almost felt surreal to finally receive the degree of TKD Master in 2008 after all my years of training. It was such a memorable moment, being presented with the new belt and certificate on the last day of the old Wilshire school. I was elated. I hadn't expected that I would encounter so many people surprised by my achievement - was it because I am a woman that I don't look like I could be a Master, or simply the accomplishment itself? I had worked hard, with pride and dedication, and when I look at how far I have come, I can see that 30 years of training have made me a different person. I am stronger, calmer, and more capable of taking things in stride. I have an immense appreciation for the discipline required of every student of TKD, and find that it is very valuable in life outside of the dojang. I also found that the 5 years I spent as program director for the Wilshire branch was a huge learning experience in addition to my training.
Maybe I don't have the typical appearance of a TKD Master, but martial arts is something that grows in your heart, no matter who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment