Monday, March 1, 2010

Testimonial from Black Belt Raymond Abrigo

"My Philosophy of Teaching Tae Kwon Do"
3rd dan Essay by Master Raymond Abrigo, 4th dan black belt

I understand that not all good fighters can be instructors and not all good instructors can be fighters. I was not aware of the characer required in order to be an instructor. When I opened my studio, I started with one student and it was a PeeWee class. The first thing I discovered was patience. I learned that I must choose my words carefully so that my student understands exactly what I am thinking.

Next, I must understand the physical capability and limitation of my students and then show them the right way to improve. Martial arts instructors must not cloud their minds in thinking of cloning their students to be like them. I believe that a good instructor can help a student reach their full potential using the student's own capability. Sometimes I tell my students that I can show them the different paths in achieving their black belts, but I cannot take them there. They must choose which path to walk and my job is to make sure I give them the right tools and direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment