Thursday, July 1, 2010

Testimonial from Black Belt Phillip Blackman

Master's Corner
"Injuries in the Martial Arts" by Master Phillip Blackman (Blackman TKD, New Mexico)
Taekwondo is typically associated with minor injuries: sprains, strains and swelling. On April 20th, I had to have surgery to repair my shock absorber in my right knee. I thought that I would share a 5 step plan to help minimize our exposure to severe injuries.

1: Warm up properly before you begin practice or enter competitions. This includes walking, jogging, jumping rope, or a variety of light aerobic exercises that will increase blood flow and oxygen to your muscles.
2: Cool down after practice. Return your body to a resting state by gradually doing stretching, deep breathing, and other non-aerobic exercises. It's the best way to avoid stiffness and pain and prevent injury brought on by a lack of conditioning.
3: It is our duty and as black belts to teach students proper "form." We must be able to adjust a student's body posture and movements so that they are executed with as little stress to the body as possible, especially when they are learning new techniques.
4: I have worn knee braces, as preventative. I enjoy feeling the added support. If you have any weaknesses, I strongly encourage braces or wraps until you are healed, or if it is chronic.
5: Weight train apart from your Taekwondo training. Your focus should be to help increase your body's natural support of joints and bones to prevent breaks, strains, and sprains.

I wish everyone continued success and good health and be sure to train smart!

No comments:

Post a Comment